Horseback riding to the source of Paltau River
Region: Ugam-Chatcal National Park, Western Tien-Shan, Uzbekistan
Tour duration: 1 day
Season: April – November
Tour type: horseback riding
Group: 1 – 12
Total length of horseback riding route: 15 km
Itinerary: Tashkent – Ugam-Chatcal National Park, Paltau river – Tashkent
Tour description: Paltau tour passes through the Ugam-Chatcal National Park, which located among the mountain spurs of Western Tian-Shan. The word “Paltau” comes from the Turkic language. Originally it sounded off like Pulat Tau, which means “Iron Mountain”. Since ancient times, Paltau has been famous for producing ore rich in iron content. There are still some remains of smelting furnaces, dating back to the Iron Age.
There are various mountain landscapes along the route. At the beginning, the route passes through a canyon to the Paltau waterfall, which cascades from a height of 38 meters. On a hot summer day the splashes of the waterfall gives a welcome relief and renews riders’ strength. The highest mark of the route is a birch grove located in a valley between high mountains. There, under the leafy shade a national styled picnic serves for hikers. During the rest after the picnic the Red Book of flora and fauna of the Chatcal Nature Reserve offers for reading there.
After the picnic and rest a trail passes through the upper side of the canyon. There appears a spectacular panorama of Paltau canyon, the river flowing along its bottom, as well as a mountain range between Kungyrbuka Mountain and Paltau Peak. Next, the trail comes to a cave, which is the object for speleological researches. A beekeeper lives just in 100 meters before the cave. There is a possibility to taste the mountain honey there.
Obi-Rakhmat grotto – cave settlement of primitive people from the Paleolithic Era is nowadays the worldwide famous archeological site on the route. On the place of excavations guide provides a lecture about unique discoveries and scientific significance of the archeological site.
Unforgettable impressions are guaranteed! Welcome to Paltau horseback riding!
08:00-10:00 - transfer Tashkent - Ugam-Chatcal National Park, Chatcal river (L=100 km, H=900 m);
10:15 – beginning of horseback riding from Chatcal river;
12:00 - Paltau waterfall (h=38 m.);
12:45 - birch grove (1450 m);
13:00-15:00 - picnic and rest;
16:00 - cave;
16:20-16-50 - grotto "Obi Rakhmat", cave settlement of primitive people from the Paleolithic Era;
17:50 – Chatcal river;
18:00-20:00 - transfer to Tashkent.
- special permit to the nature conservation area;
- transfer Tashkent - Ugam-Chatcal National Park – Tashkent;
- Ugam Chatcal National Park's ecological fees;
- English speaking guide service;
- cook service;
- rent of horses.
- At summer time it is recommended to start the program one hour earlier;
- April month is the only season of tulips’ flowering;
- Summer is the season of the archeological excavations in the grotto "Obi Rakhmat".
- shashlik (lamb);
- salad “Spring” or “Achik-chuchuk”;
- fruits (in accordance to season);
- dry fruits & nuts;
- traditional Uzbek bread – “shirmoy non”;
- water, tea.
1. trekking boots;
2. wool socks;
3. trekking trousers;
6. sun block cream and sun glasses;
1. The itinerary passes through the nature conservation area where the special permit demands. The documents for permitting should be submitted in 15 days before the tour.
2. Copies of the following documents are required for permitting:
- scanned copy of passport;
- scanned copy of entry visa.