Itinerary: Tashkent – Ugam-Chatkal National Park, Paltau river – Tashkent
Region: Ugam-Chatkal National Park, Western Tien-Shan, Uzbekistan
Tour duration: 1 day
Season: April – November
Horse riding distance: 12,8 km
Highlights: Paltau tour passes through Ugam-Chatkal National Park, which located among the mountain spurs of Western Tian-Shan. The word “Paltau” comes from the Turkic language. Originally it sounded off like Pulat Tau, which means “Iron Mountain”. Since ancient time, Paltau valley has been famous for producing ore rich in iron content. There are still some remains of smelting furnaces, dating back to the Iron Age.
There are various mountain landscapes along the route. At the beginning, the route passes through a canyon to Paltau waterfall, which cascades from the height of 25 meters. At hot summer day the splashes of the waterfall gives a welcome relief and refreshing riders. The highest mark of the route is a birch grove located in a valley between high mountains. There, under the leafy shade a national styled picnic serves for riders. During the rest after the picnic the riders can read the Red Book of flora and fauna of Chatkal Nature Reserve.
After the picnic and rest a trail passes through the upper side of the canyon. There appears a spectacular panorama of Paltau canyon, the river flowing along its bottom, as well as a mountain range between Mt.Kungyrbuka and Mt.Paltau. Next, the trail comes to a cave, which is the object for speleological researches. A beekeeper lives just in 100 meters before the cave. There is a possibility to taste the mountain honey there.
Obi-Rakhmat grotto – cave settlement of primitive people from the Paleolithic Age. On the place of excavations guide tells about the unique discoveries of the archeological site.
08:00-10:00 am - transfer Tashkent - Ugam-Chatkal National Park, Chatkal river (L=100 km, H=953 m). Horse riding upstream Paltau river. Sightseeing of Paltau waterfall (h=25 m). Visiting the birch grove (1430 m). Picnic and rest in the birch grove. Visiting a cave. Visiting the grotto "Obi Rakhmat", cave settlement of primitive people from the Paleolithic Era. 18:00-20:00 pm - transfer to Tashkent.
- special permit to the nature conservation area;
- transfer Tashkent - Ugam-Chatkal National Park – Tashkent;
- Ugam Chatkal National Park's ecological fees;
- English speaking guide service;
- picnic (sandwiches, vegetables, fruits, sweets, tea, water);
- rent of horses.
- At summer time it is recommended to start the program at 07:00 am;
- April is the only season of tulips’ blooming;
- Summer is the season of the archeological excavations in the grotto "Obi Rakhmat".
1. trekking boots;
2. trekking trousers;
Recommended UV protection:
2. sun block cream and sun glasses.
1. The itinerary passes through the nature conservation area where the special permit demands. The documents for permitting should be submitted in 15 days before the tour.
2. Copies of the following documents are required for permitting:
- scanned copy of passport;
- scanned copy of entry visa.
|Map of horse riding route to Paltau valley|
Horse riding highest point - 1430 m
Horse riding distance - 12,8 km